The town of Superior was founded in 1896 and incorporated in 1904. The term ‘original town’ is surely of more recent vintage. Before the development of Sagamore and Rock Creek there was no need to use the adjective ‘original’ to describe what was then the only part of town.

The town was originally a coal mining town. The name Superior comes from the superior grade of coal that was mined here.